Hit the Niagara Wine Trail for the annual “Taste of the Trail”, the wine and local food-pairing event running April 4-6 and April 11-13! Samples from local food vendors, or the wineries’ own favorite creations, will be paired with three wines at each location. Tickets include a food sample, a tasting of three wines, and a commemorative wine glass from the first winery.
The popular event has been divided into two weekends with half of the wineries participating on each weekend. The Single Weekend price will be $20 advance or $25 at the door, or you could purchase a Two Weekend ticket for $35 or $40. The event runs each weekend Noon-5pm on Friday and Sunday, and from- 10am – 5pm on Saturday.
April 4–6 Participating Wineries:
▪ BlackBird Cider Works – Spent Grain Pretzels from Woodcock Brothers Brewing Company, with a gourmet mustard dip. Pretzels paired with our draft hard cider
▪ Black Willow Winery – Spiedini of fresh mozzarella, basil, & tomato dressed with our very own artisan Hojiblanca olive oil and 18yr aged balsamic, accompanied with a crostini
▪ Chateau Niagara Winery – A pasta sampler paired with their new release “Bliss” wine (blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay)
▪ Lake Ontario Winery – Semi Dry Riesling paired with baguette bread topped with homemade mozzarella & drizzled with a mild olive oil and cinnamon pear balsamic vinegar
▪ Leonard Oakes Estate Winery – Beef Stew made with our 2012 Cambourcin; the same wine is also the recommended pairing
▪ Schulze Vineyards – Pasta salad with roasted vegetables citrus vinaigrette and asiago cheese, by Cream & Sugar Ice Cream Cafe, Lockport. Recommended pairings are Chardonnay Reserve for the dry palate, Vidal Blanc for the semi dry palate, and Niagara for the sweet palate. On Saturday, 4/5 live music at the winery with Dave Stoll (guitar and vocals) 2-5pm
▪ Schwenk Wine Cellars – Chicken and rice soup made with Stone Bottom Cayuga White wine, paired with a Wine Bread made with Lighthouse White wine
▪ Spring Lake Winery – Bruschetta Italiano paired with Zinfandel and White Merlot
▪ Vizcarra Vineyards – Mini cupcakes paired with Becker Blue blueberry wine: Blushing peach melba mini cupcake with a vanilla bean buttercream; Peach cake, accented with black raspberry and vanilla bean, vanilla bean buttercream and cobbler garnish.
▪ The Winery at Marjim Manor – Pizza Fondue paired with choice of dry, medium, or sweet wine: True Blue or Legacy (dry), Sophia’s Sunrise (medium), Blue Beryl (sweet)
April 11–13 Participating Wineries:
▪ A Gust of Sun Winery – Creamy, vegetarian carrot soup, infused with Sweet Westies White wine
▪ Arrowhead Spring Vineyards
▪ Eveningside Vineyards – Chocolate Brownies paired with red wines
▪ Flight of Five Winery – Lock 68 wine paired with Pesto Chicken Sliders (a vegetarian option will be available)
▪ Freedom Run Winery – Choose a sample of one of our Bistro’s flat breads paired with a wine: Sun-dried Tomato Pesto with Chardonnay; Sautéed green & Sun-dried tomato with Pinot Noir; Chicken Bacon ranch with Cabernet Franc; Buffalo Chicken with Gewurztraminer.
▪ Honeymoon Trail Winery – Food samples provided by the Wine Trail Italian Bistro
▪ Long Cliff Winery – Pinot Noir paired with a mixed vegetable side dish from Garlock’s Restaurant, Lockport
▪ Midnight Run Wine Cellars – Coconut curry chicken paired with Riesling
▪ Niagara Landing Wine Cellars – Assorted artisan and stuffed breads with a variety of dips that pair with any of our wines
▪ Victorianbourg Wine Estate – Food and wine pairings coming soon.
A complete list of parings, along with more information about the twenty wineries that make up the Niagara Wine Trail may be found online at http://niagarawinetrail.org/.